Saturday, March 24, 2007

One Life To Live

"I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." -Nathan Hale, just before he was hanged for treason against the British Empire.

"I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!" -Patrick Henry, speaking to the Virginia house of Burgesses on March 23, 1775

What inspired these men with so much passion that they were determined to give everything, "And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor," for the cause that stirred them? How did they know beyond a shadow of a doubt that they were called to fight this fight, and not others?

How do we know when we are called to fight?
___________________________________________________________________

I've been thinking about symbols. Knights in the Crusades had banners with their family emblem, to identify themselves. Each male family member had his own sign. Fighter pilots painted an emblem on their fuselage, hoping for a legacy to follow.

What's your emblem? What would you paint on your plane?

Moreover, what's your nickname? Maverick? Iceman? Red Baron? How do you identify yourself to those who fight with you and equally to those who fight against you? What inspires courage and incites fear simultaneously?

When you go to war, what will your banner portray?

No comments: