Friday, October 26, 2007

Photos and Kibera

For some reason, whenever the guys at work are talking about politics, they call me over and ask me questions even though they know that I vehemently detest politics. I mean I hate the topic. A lot.

Don't get me wrong: I respect those in authority. I won't advocate anarchism. My political views lean left, but only because I'm a Christian and I believe that, as it says in Acts, we should share all things. So I guess that makes me a communist. But I also believe that in this fallen world, and with the Americanized Church feeling entirely too capitalistic, my ideal will never occur this side of the Millenial Kingdom. Meanwhile, since we are temporally stuck on the sad side of Christ's rule, I choose to invest in things that will outlast this world.

It's always puzzled me that pastors preach againts the Muslims rising to power. "This is the beginning of the one-world religion!" they protest. They involve themselves in temporal issues (Let's save the Mt. Soledad Cross!) because they say that if we don't fight, we'll lose our freedoms. They, from the pulpit, bemoan discrimination against Christians.

I wonder how many of them really understand the end times or, rather, the concept of sign of the times. Last I checked, losing our freedoms and the beginning of the one-world system means that we get to leave soon. It means that Jesus is on His way back, and this sad world that we live in will end, giving rise to our glorious new Heaven and Earth. Isn't that a good thing?

Time Out (like Zach on Saved by the Bell)
I've always wondered why Christians are so afraid of death. They really shouldn't be. I'm not. I can't wait to die. It means I'll be with my God forever. Granted, I am serving Him to my best ability while I'm here (indeed, the very fact that I am here shows that I'm not ready to be in His presence yet) but last I checked, to die is gain. So why are we so terrified?
Time In

So anyway, I hate politics. Which is why I don't vote. You're not hallucinating. I just said I don't vote. Someone once argued with me that if I don't vote, that means I support whoever comes into power by default. I disagree. I obey whoever comes into power, provided that obedience does not clash with my morality. I respect whoever comes into power. But I don't have to support that person. I'm not their mom.

I'm first and foremost a Christian and I think that all too often, being an American interferes with our Christianity. We get involved in pointless debates and arguments and fundraisers and pep rallies and protests and parades (Read 1 and 2 Timothy) and we stray from our faith, from what's really important.

I believe that when Jesus said "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's" He was also referring to "You cannot serve two masters." I choose not to vote because I pay my taxes. I give Caesar (or in this case Uncle Sam) his due, and I devote all the rest of my time and energy to serving God. Or at least, I should.

Note on the picture link: don't click on the pictures- they lose their resolution. Hover over them with your mouse and the captions expand.

3 comments:

A-ron said...

Interesting.
Personally, I'm hardly what you'd call a politically active person and I usually don't say much when political discussions come up. But I think that's mostly because I'm terrible at arguing anything and still in a bit of an undetermined state concerning some political stances. Still, I don't mind listening to such discussions, depending on who's talking and their motives.

I think you make some good points, but on the other hand I don't think those are good reasons not to vote. Voting isn't "paying your dues" to the country, it's taking advantage of a privilege that many have fought hard to earn. And when Christ talks of not serving two masters, He's saying that we can't serve both the world and God. I'd hardly call voting serving the world and I wouldn't even call paying taxes serving the world. The way I see it, not voting is not caring. Frankly, it's being irresponsible. If no Christians vote then there's more of a chance there will be no Christians in our government and thus no Christian influence in political affairs. We live in a world where evil people would love to take control and if we do nothing to stop them, they will. If there's an opportunity to do good and prevent evil, even if a little bit, shouldn't we take it?
Shouldn't we be the salt and light in the world, seeking to influence our culture for the good, to permeate it with the love and truth of Christ? It was a Christian who stood up spoke out, putting an end to the evil sports of the Colosseum, though it cost him his life. It seems to me that the US is loosing more and more footing when it comes to a government grounded in morality. If we can prevent things like the removal of the 10 commandments from public places and pastors being thrown into prison for preaching the gospel, shouldn't we?

Politics are necessary part of a society, just as doctrines is a necessary part of faith. They aren't always good and always right and they can be a distraction for us if we let them, but they must be there to hold it together. What you are doing right now, serving God in another land and serving the needs of others is, in a way, political. You are making a statement and representing Christ in the community. I'm not trying to rip on your views and chances are you're probably pretty set in them anyhow, but at least consider what I've said.
I think you should read "Why I Am Not a Pacifist" From C.S. Louis' book, The Weight of Glory. As Paul demonstrates in Acts, there are times when we should stand up for our rights and times when we should be willing to lay them down for Christ's sake. I don't think we should just let the whole world go to pot so that Christ will come and wipe it all away sooner, instead we should haste the day by doing everything in His power to bring heaven to earth and save as many souls as possible before the chance is gone. God knows I'm no good at it, but it's something I'm willing to let Him do through me.
Well, sorry about the earful (or is it an eyeful?) Have a blessed day!

Kate M. said...

Thanks for your opinion. I always do enjoy someone else's point of view.

The flesh in me is tempted to turn this into a political debate, but I'm not going to. It is not my goal to convert you.

P.S. I have read The Weight of Glory. Wasn't my favorite of Lewis's books.

A-ron said...

Hah, well each to their own I suppose.