Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Hellos and Goodbyes

Did I ever mention that I hate Valentine's Day? I mean, I really hate it. There's an insane amount of pressure to show up with something great- far too many relationships hinge on how a guy performs his duty on this day.

This particular Valentine's Day is different. I'm not dealing with all my friends freshly in love. I'm not hounded by signs and sales and hearts dangling from ceilings. In fact, if not for the fact that the date is branded into my memory, I'd forget it altogether.

Also de-emphasizing Valentine's Day is the fact that Christy is leaving today. She's been here for a year and to see her go is like watching one of the main characters on your favorite sitcom get written out. She belongs here. She's a staple.

New Sarah arrived on Monday and we're getting her settled in, but it feels like I'm moving in on some turf- I'm taking Christy's room and I have to do it the day after she leaves... no time for closure.

Annelie is also leaving this week and Katie has gone to Sudan for a month. I'm saying goodbye to them and hello to new roommates... we'll see how we adjust.

1 comment:

A-ron said...

Meh, in my mind it is just another day. I had a heart-shaped doughnut from work, that's pretty much the extent of my Valentine's Day celebrating. I used to get some candy and maybe a card from my step-mom, but being in LA now, I don't think that'll happen this year.

It's kinda like going to weddings, I could let it get me down, feel all lonely inside and shake my fist at all the consumerist nonsense, but I'd rather just get on with life.