Tuesday, March 25, 2008

We sat in our chairs not speaking, as we often do. I laughed softly at thoughts rushing through my always-busy mind.
"What?" he asked, as he always does.
"Nothing," I said with a smile, and he poked my side. "Would you rub my shoulders?" I asked, thinking about the knots that had accumulated over the past few months.
"Sure." So I moved to sit on the ground in front of him and he smoothed out the stress I carry in my shoulders. We didn't talk for a while, but then at once he leaned down and put his arms around me.
"I love you," he said rather matter-of-factly. I smiled.
"I love you," I replied, and we were silent again. "You know," I said finally. "That's the first time you've said that to me."
"I figured it was about time. I know you already knew that, but I had to tell you."
I sighed.

No comments: