Thursday, September 04, 2008

Race and Relations

The issue of race relations is caused by people making value judgments on other people based on the color of their skin or what region they call home. In some areas of the US, we've gotten very good at avoiding this, and I'm glad that I was raised to believe, as Dr. King said, that we can live in a world where people "will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character".

However, I now live in Kenya and I'm finding it very difficult to adjust to this culture where people are judged almost solely by their skin color. I have to wrestle with the preconceived notions that all white people are rich, all asians know martial arts, and (to the locals), even the level of darkness in the skin says something about who you are.
It's a series of assumptions that I'm trying to fight, but my efforts are made nearly void because I have light skin.
In January of this year, we saw people do horrible things to each other simply because of what tribe they were from. At home, we're taught not to make gross generalizations about any group of people. But at my place of work, that's all they know. "Those Kikuyus are thieves," they say, and continue to assert that, yes, ALL of them are. "Those Kamba..." "Those Luo..." "Those Arabs..."
And then they ask me why white people hate black people so much. I can't answer that because I don't know any white people who hate black people. But hey, I know plenty of black people who do believe this, and hate white people because of it.
It's a vicious cycle.
I try to provide unifying potential. But the people I work with just assume that somehow I'm trying to usurp them, to enslave them again.
And sadly, there's nothing I can do about that.

2 comments:

Seda said...

Kate,
I feel sad to hear your last comment. It sounds like you feel tremendously frustrated and helpless. Needs for connection and contribution not met.

I believe that there is something that you can do, though, something precious and powerful. You can empathize and connect. It may not be easy, at first. Please, go to www.cnvc.org, and scan the books available by Marshall Rosenberg. Nonviolent Communication provides many practical skills in peacemaking. There may also be a group nearby that can help practice. It works, and it works with every culture and every religion in the world.

Be blessed. Have courage. You can make a difference. And you are.

A-ron said...

Sounds like a tough situation. Living in San Diego/LA, sometimes it's easier for me to forget that racial prejudice still runs rampant all over the world. Not that there isn't any where I am, but it's not nearly so extreme.
Still, I believe just by being there and taking a stand for what is right, you are making a difference, whether or not you see its immediate effects.