Thursday, November 05, 2009

A pretty bad poem

I wrote this yesterday during Chapel at the school where I work. I've been trying to fight off the beginnings of depression which seems to want to build a nest in my heart.

Actually, I'm not sure what to do with it. Do I let it come, deal with it, like a wave passing over me? or do I try to fight it off, finally going down screaming, thrashing, exhausted? So here it goes...

Unwelcome Companion
The darkness arrives
clandestinely.
It creeps.
It crawls;
sneaks silently.
The heaviness steps in
unwelcomed.
Wipes its feet
Hangs its hat
Too accustomed.
The ink spot makes
its home in my chest.
Just above the heart-
a hole
an emptiness
eating me from within.
I want to scream
but cold fingers
close
tightly
around my throat.
Hope seems so far away.
A place I'll never see,
An unattainable goal.
I stare into the abyss
That hole
in my soul.
I want to see something
some flicker
some spark
But the abyss
(cursed darkness)
refuses to stare back.
It is nirvana--
the emptiness I hate--
the heavy weight
holding me down
Handcuffing me to my fears
Binding me to the clandestine darkness.
Despair.

But then... then I did go to chapel. And though it took a while for the principal to get around to the message, when it finally came it was exactly what I needed to hear.
"There is a race set before you, and it is unique. We don't know what the obstacles will be, but we do know that they are tough. But God puts them there for a reason, and He will provide the strength for us to get around or through. Our race, be it with diabetes or cancer or a dead brother or depression, is designed so that our lives bring maximum glory to God."

So, God knows me. God knows what I can handle and what I can't. And he's given me recurrent depression as a thorn in my flesh, so that I am reminded that I can't do anything on my own. All we do is for His glory, for His praise. And HE is the one on whom we depend to make it through those times.

No comments: