Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Solid Ground?

That's what I get for thinking I had things figured out.

Sometimes I feel like God wants to just mess with me. I recently read through the Babel story again in Genesis 11, and the feeling I got was that God was having a little fun with the people building their tower.

And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower,
which the children of man had built. And the LORD said, "Behold, they are one
people, and they have all one language, and this is only the beginning of what
they will do. And nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for
them. Come, let us go down and there confuse their language,
so that they may not understand one another's speech." So the LORD dispersed them from there over the face
of all the earth, and they left off building the city. Therefore its name
was called Babel, because there the LORD confused the language of all the earth. And from there the
LORD dispersed them over the face of all the earth.


Whenever I get to a stage of my life where I think I kind of have things figured out, like I know where this is headed or how it's going to turn out, it seems that God likes to throw a wrench in the works. He likes to confuse me, make me turn back to Him.

I need stability. I need some sense of security, but it seems like God doesn't want to give me that. I have to keep seeking after Him, clinging to Him, because I get no security from life.

But is God always going to keep me in this limbo? Am I always going to feel shaky and unstable, because then I'm forced to rely on God and not my own resources?

Our parents and grandparents were able to achieve a level of material comfort. Are their children doomed to insecurity, if only to strengthen their faith?

Dear God, why does life have to be so hard?

No comments: