Wednesday, August 15, 2007

One of those people.

Ever had one of "those" People in your life? You know, the People that just tend to blurt out mean things. You think it's funny. As long as it's not pointed at you.

And then it kicks in.

You get a mean comment fired in your direction and it hits you dead on where it hurts. You feel immasculated. You feel impotent. You feel very small. And that time it's not so funny.

So here's where it get's fun.

You get hurt, That Person gives you some sort of noncommittal apology like, "I'm sorry you got offended," and then moves on. You're still hurt. But Those People have that crazy gift of being able to make you feel guilty for being angry with Them. So, They hurt you. You feel like a total jerk. Then you feel even more angry because you don't think you should feel like a jerk and it's not fair for That Person to guilt trip you when They hurt you.

So you then apologize to Them for acting like a jerk. And They apologize for what they actually said, or how it hurt you. Which is to say, why can't They just apologize sincerely to begin with and avoid the whole fiasco?

Are They really that codependent?

1 comment:

A-ron said...

I knew a lot of people like that in High School, but I stopped hanging around them once I realized I was becoming like them.
Only one person like that comes to my mind nowadays, but I think he's changed quite a bit from his old habits. Not to mention, it takes serious determined effort if someone wants to offend me.