Monday, September 24, 2007

Mochatini and a Pickle

My sending service at church was last night. I was miserable all day preparing for it. I knew that I function better without prep, but I needed a Power Point because Pastor told me to. So I wanted to die.

But then Gary called.

Of all the people I talked to that afternoon, he calmed me down.

"Hey, Gary," I said, a little less upbeat than usual.
"Hello, Kathy." Immediately I felt better.
"So," he continued. "Caesar and I were wondering where your church is. Because we don't want to go to Shadow tonight."
I gave him directions and he relayed them to Caesar.
"I'm going to tell everyone I see to come to your church," he said. "Do you want me to call Sherri?"
"Sure, could you?"
"Of course."
"Gary, you're the best," I said, now smiling.
"I do try," was the reply, but I don't think he does.
He chatted for a moment and I could feel my blood pressure dropping, my headache receding, and my cry-reflex slowly sinking back into the abyss.
"Well Kathy, you have a wonderful afternoon and I will most definitely see you tonight."
"Thanks. It means a lot to me."

We hung up and I stopped flipping out about my Power Point. God was in charge.
---------------------------------

After the service, a million people came up to me and hugged me. Gary waited for a lull and squeezed me a little tighter than usual. I buried my face in his shoulder for a moment. Pause. And then back to everyone else.
---------------------------------

Deanne, Andrea, Justin B., Caesar, Gary, and I went to Applebee's after, joking around, taking pictures, snarfing food. Well, I was snarfing food. I hadn't eaten in 24 hours, and you better believe I was devouring those garlic mashed potatoes like no tomorrow.

I said some things that were rather inappropriate, crude, and just plain unnecessary. Partially because I was tired, partially because I was with good friends. Luckily, only Gary heard my comments. He smiled forgivingly and just shook his head. He didn't make a big deal. He didn't make fun of me. He just let me be. That was maybe more convicting than if he'd said something.

After the meal, we all got our checks and the two of us finished off our drinks. I was getting out my credit card when Gary smoothly pulled my charge slip from its black holder. "I'll take care of that," he said.
------------------------------

Minus Deanne, we went back to Andrea's to watch a comedy video and hang out. Quick hug after midnight and I was off.
------------------------------

So here's to Gary. I know he doesn't read this blog, but that doesn't change my opinion of him nor does it prevent me from being in his debt.

Gary, you showed you cared about me in a way that most people could never approach. You knew how to handle my nutty (and sometimes raunchy) side. You're gracious and Christlike in almost everything you do and while you do have your faults, you readily admit them and show that you're working on them.

My close female friends have provided a sanctuary for me, listening ears, and greater friendships than I could ever presume to deserve.

But Gary, you are a breath of fresh air when it comes to my male friends. You make no presumptions, you show no expectations of reward. You serve because you can and you care. You're the truest kind of friend there is. I'm proud to have you as a brother. Thank you for living Christ.


1 comment:

A-ron said...

It's too bad he doesn't read this blog or he'd be receiving one of the best compliments I've yet seen.