Friday, September 28, 2007

Kiss Me And Smile For Me

It's a rather dreary day in San Diego. Occasional drips outside my window inform me that it rained during the night despite the red clouds that graced the dusk sky yesterday.

I'd like to think the city's going to miss me but as today brings reminiscent emotions, I have to admit that I've done rather nothing to impact it as a whole. But people. People will miss me.

I'm sitting here munching on a bowl of protein cereal and mixed berry yogurt, taking a breather and running off a few online errands before the chaos of today really begins. I need about 10 extra hours in the day. But it'll all get done, I'm sure.

In twenty-four hours, I will be sitting on a Boeing 757 on a nonstop flight to Dulles Airport on the first leg of my 38-hour journey that will take up two full days. 14 of those hours will be spent in London, 3 in Washington D.C., and the rest sitting on planes. Or sleeping on planes. Or hopelessly trying not to pace on planes.

My car is Deanne's. My phone is Jen's. A rather fascinating group of friends are being separated from me to go on with their lives- an adventure of which I will not be a part.

I will be embarking on an adventure all my own.

I can't be sure why it worked out this way- why I'm going and they're not. But it's God's plan, for sure, and He is working in our lives.

I will say this:

I'm going to miss John's stupid jokes about making out that never came to fruition.
I'm going to miss those awkward silences when Caesar said something that no one else got.
I'm going to miss the sound of Gary's voice as he prattles on about things which I already know.
I'm going to miss whispering conspiratorially with Jessie about doing nice things for people.
I'm going to miss heckling Rachael as she gets ready in the morning.
I'm going to miss talking to my mom on the phone as I pull in the driveway.
I'm going to miss calling Andrea and telling her she needs to come over.
I'm going to miss sitting on Deanne's bed late at night sharing concerns and praying with each other.

Warm beachy summers. Cool sunny winters. Taking phone calls from numbers I don't recognize and talking to someone I haven't heard from in years. Doing phone surveys and spending hours chatting with the interviewer after the survey is over. Walking around the mall, always visiting the same stores. Semi-dates with guy friends that end with a long hug and a healthy respect for each other. Annual movie nights at Elita's. Sitting in on Fred's class. Smiling at people I don't know at church. Heckling Mike C. during Sunday School.

Inside jokes.

I've travelled all over North and South America. I've traipsed across Europe. I've been in city after city. But San Diego, like a faithful lover, has always taken me back and let me live here. Dear San Diego, you hold my heart. Don't forget me.



And so, friends, as I bid you all adieu, I offer you this: It is my quiet goal in life, and I hope that you make it yours.



Breathe Deep. Seek Peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

such good words Kathy!

I miss sharing and praying with you too!