Wednesday, October 03, 2007

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door...

"You step onto the road and if you don't keep your feet there's no telling where you'll be swept off to."
--John Ronald Reuel Tolkien

He had a point, you know.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I went into town for the first time today to get my Student ID card, which gets us discounts at different parks and stores here.

It was crowded and reeked of exhaust but it was really no different from the other cities I've visited over the years.

After that, I stopped by the SIM office and met my mentor. She took me out to lunch and I had real Kenyan food for the first time. Something called mukimo, which is sort of mashed potatoes mixed with mashed spinach and corn (It's green and tastes fabulous) and tika kukka, which is fried chicken.

One thing I've noticed in all the places I've visited is that Coca-Cola tastes different in every country. Kenyan Coke is one of my favorites, so far.

During lunch I looked around and noticed that I was the only mzungu (white person) in the room. Oddly enough, I didn't feel like I stood out. I felt like I belonged there.

Friday I go to Kibera for the first time. I expect it to be a shock. Pray for me.
---------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: I know it says this above, but I thought I'd say it again. On SUNDAY, this blog will go PRIVATE. Meaning you won't be able to access it anymore. So, if you want to keep reading this blog, send me an email. Even if you think you're a shoe-in (coughDavidcough), email me anyway. I'm a forgetful person. kathy.morales@sim.org

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathy - you make me laugh! I miss you so much!
David helped me get my internet up and running yesterday so I'll be emailing soon

i love you soooooooooo much!
You are wonderful, amazing, adventuresome - and I'm so glad your alive. You are a blessing in my life!

A-ron said...

I think it'd be fun to be in a place where you're the racial minority. I get tired of being around too many plain white Americans ;)

Can't wait to hear more of your new adventures.