Saturday, December 26, 2009

Favorite Albums of the 2000s, part 2

Continuing the list...

2004: Mr. A-Z- Jason Mraz
And here we are, with what may be the best sophomore album ever made. Jason Mraz hits us again with his fabulous ability to meld insightful lyrics with fun tunes and some cute innuendo, contrasted occasionally with deep words and melancholy chords. "Bella Luna" made me wish to be poetic, "Please Don't Tell Her" is as honest as it is self-deceiving, and "Wordplay" is true to form with its quick witticisms. "Geek in the Pink" is fun, but my favorite song is "Mr. Curiosity", which is a follow-up to "Did You Get My Message?"

2005: Lifesong- Casting Crowns
The year 2005 was either a really bad year for music, or I just don't have any taste. However, Casting Crowns did a great job with this album, and they have a strong set of songs that stands up well to their self-titled debut. They have great social criticism alongside standard praise songs, and some very honest lyrics.

2006: Stadium Arcadium- The Red Hot Chili Peppers
Ironically, the Red Hot Chili Peppers released a "greatest hits" album in 2003, and then went on to produce their best album of all time, "Stadium Arcadium". In fact, this is one of the greatest rock and roll albums ever made. The two-disc set, titled "Jupiter" and "Mars" respectively, never slows down, never has any skip-worthy songs. It's fun to listen to, and definitely deserving of its seven Grammy nominations. "Dani California" and "Hey Oh" are great songs, but the title track is fabulous as well. It's a great road trip album as well.

2007: Dan in Real Life- Sondre Lerche
Okay, so I lied. Two soundtracks made my list. This one, an indie film with music all by Norwegian powerhouse lyricist Sondre Lerche, is sweet, folksy, and romantic. Songs like "To Be Surprised" and "I'll Be Okay" are well-written, but my favorite, Track 5, wins out with "My hands are shaking from carrying this torch for you". He also has some great duets, including "Human Hands", a wonderfully real song about romance, and "Hell No," with Regina Spektor, who is one of the greatest female singers of our time. Also, Lerche's cover of "Let My Love Open the Door"might be better than Peter Townshend's original arrangement.


2007: Life in Cartoon Motion- Mika
I love Queen. It's a great musical group, and they've made some of the best songs of the 20th century. So, it's no surprise that their influences would be widespread. Along comes Mika in 2007 with this:
"Do I attract you?
Do I repulse you with my queasy smile?
Am I too dirty? Am I too flirty?
Do I like what you like?"

Mika admittedly channels Freddie Mercury, Queen's erstwhile lead singer and songwriter. He sounds just like him, and somehow manages to, all by himself, sound like the entire band. His lyrics are sometimes fun, sometimes goofy, sometimes eerily accurate, and it's great dancing music, especially songs like "Lollipop" and "Big Girls". "Happy Ending" is my favorite song, but well worth waiting for is the hidden track "Over My Shoulder", about being left alone, drunk, and passed out in the cold.


2007: The Altar and the Door- Casting Crowns
This album may be the best of the decade. Casting Crowns continually puts out great music, which is why they are on the list twice. "The Altar and the Door" is the single most convicting album I have ever heard, with the title song so poignant and reflective that I can't listen to it at all without tearing up. Connected songs refer back to each other, bringing unity to the artistry. "All Because of Jesus" is one of the best, but "White Dove", the hidden track at the end, is wonderful. Lead singer Mark Hall sounds suspiciously like Josh Groban, and pulls off classical singing surprisingly well in this melancholy plea for peace.

2008: Rebel- Lecrae
The only rap album to make the list. It's amazing in its beats, lyrics, and truth. Lecrae knows how to say what he believes so much more concisely than I could, and he rhymes in the process. "Indwelling Sin" is the best song on the lineup, but they are all great and well-written.

2009: Big Whiskey and the Groo Grux King- Dave Matthews Band
Honestly, I had to look hard for a good album in 2009, but Dave Matthews Band did it again, creating a really fun and memorable piece of musical art. Though no particular song is very memorable from this album, it's very fun to listen to, with a great mix of musical styles and beats. I never got bored listening to "Big Whiskey".

So that's it... my favorite albums from the 2000s. Tune in 10 years for the next list!

For a complete listing of the songs and artists that didn't make the final cut, see the note I am leaving on Facebook.

1 comment:

Jordan Quinley said...

This was an a great list; i loved reading it. It gives a little insight into what you like, and that interests me a lot. I don't think i could construct a list like this one.

Although, i was not a little surprised--confused, honestly--how you could call someone with as shoddy a voice as Regina Spektor's "one the greatest female singers of our time."

But anyway, great read, great fun. You definitely like a lot of music of many kinds. That's a mark of sophistication (or, at least, i say so because i also like a lot of music of many kinds).