Saturday, January 09, 2010

Resolved...

A few years back, I almost went to a conference. It was called "Resolved" and was hosted by John MacArthur's church. My mom wanted to send me, but it didn't work out and I didn't go.

The whole thing was based on Jonathan Edwards' "Resolutions" that he wrote when he was a young adult. The point was to make a series of commitments, 70 in total, that would keep his mind on his duty before God. This is how they begin:

Being sensible that I am unable to do anything without God's help, I do humbly entreat him by his grace to enable me to keep these Resolutions, so far as they are agreeable to his will, for Christ's sake.

1. Resolved, that I will do whatsoever I think to be most to God's glory, and my own good, profit and pleasure, in the whole of my duration, without any consideration of the time, whether now, or never so many myriad's of ages hence. Resolved to do whatever I think to be my duty and most for the good and advantage of mankind in general. Resolved to do this, whatever difficulties I meet with, how many and how great soever.

2. Resolved, to be continually endeavoring to find out some new invention and contrivance to promote the aforementioned things.

3. Resolved, if ever I shall fall and grow dull, so as to neglect to keep any part of these Resolutions, to repent of all I can remember, when I come to myself again.

4. Resolved, never to do any manner of thing, whether in soul or body, less or more, but what tends to the glory of God; nor be, nor suffer it, if I can avoid it.

5. Resolved, never to lose one moment of time; but improve it the most profitable way I possibly can.

The List goes on

14. Resolved, never to do anything out of revenge.

23. Resolved, frequently to take some deliberate action, which seems most unlikely to be done, for the glory of God, and trace it back to the original intention, designs and ends of it; and if I find it not to be for God's glory, to repute it as a breach of the 4th Resolution.

26. Resolved, to cast away such things, as I find do abate my assurance.

34. Resolved, in narration's never to speak anything but the pure and simple verity.

37. Resolved, to inquire every night, as I am going to bed, wherein I have been negligent, what sin I have committed, and wherein I have denied myself: also at the end of every week, month and year.

50.
Resolved, I will act so as I think I shall judge would have been best, and most prudent, when I come into the future world.

58. Resolved, not only to refrain from an air of dislike, fretfulness, and anger in conversation, but to exhibit an air of love, cheerfulness and benignity.

69. Resolved, always to do that, which I shall wish I had done when I see others do it.

70.
Let there be something of benevolence, in all that I speak.

Edwards was tougher on himself in 1723 than we are today when we resolve to exercise more, lose weight, or eat healthier (the top 3 resolutions every year). He set up a system for his actions and a way to keep himself accountable.

I can't imagine how often I would fail if I tried to make such a list for myself and keep it. My New Year's Resolutions are rather simple:

1. Learn to drive a stick shift.

2. Organize one girls' night every month.

3. Become conversationally fluent in Spanish.

I can actually accomplish these things this year, and I am dedicated to doing it. I also am resolving, less formally, to read my Bible regularly, lose a few pounds, and be more positive in what I say.

But when we make these resolutions, I often feel like it's a bit of a joke. "Ha ha, what promises to myself am I not going to keep
this year?" And I feel sad, because we almost expect to fail.

Edwards, I think, also expected to fail. This is why he set up his system of accountability within the resolutions.

But that's the nature of the beast, really. We don't keep our promises. We do fail, every step of the way. We fail each other, we fail ourselves, and we fail God. But God never fails us, never gives up on His resolution to love us unconditionally, never has to chide Himself for forgetting.

"If we are faithless, he remains faithful--for he cannot deny himself." 2 Tim 2:13

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

[B]NZBsRus.com[/B]
Escape Crawling Downloads Using NZB Files You Can Instantly Find High Quality Movies, Games, MP3 Singles, Applications & Download Them @ Fast Speeds

[URL=http://www.nzbsrus.com][B]NZB Search[/B][/URL]