Monday, January 14, 2008

The Rain

So stand in the rain
Stand your ground
Stand up when it's all crashing down
You stand through the pain
You won't drown
And one day, whats lost can be found
You stand in the rain
-Superchic[k]

The movie was over. I didn't think "Walk the Line" was as good as everyone had said it was, and I could see a lot of room for improvement. We sat around for a bit in the hangout room before going outside. It was raining, I noticed. Caleb groaned a bit, knowing he'd have to ride his motorcycle home.

He's very task-oriented, and so he went straight from their house to my house, where all his stuff was. I danced. In the rain.

It is dry season, meaning that it hasn't rained in a good three weeks. It was a bit cold, but I stood in it. It started coming down harder, so I stuck my glasses in my back pocket and twirled.

I love the rain. I love the feeling of being cleansed by the heavens with all of nature. Being from San Diego, I don't get to stand in the rain very often, but when I do, it feels right. It feels like God is renewing His covenant with me. It feels like my sins are washed away and I can start afresh.

My meticulously-straightened hair began to go back to its natural curl. The faint scent of perfume ran down my arms and dripped unceremoniously from my fingertips. I laughed and giggled and danced and twirled.

"You're going to die of exposure," Caleb said, laughing at me from the balcony.

"More likely of acid rain," I said, gaping my mouth wide open to the sky.

He came and stood with me until the deluge faded away into the night.

1 comment: